There is also an option to run an appspot server on your own (not the
sdk dev server).
For instance you can use this:
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/appengine

The turnkey appliances are build on ubuntu, small iso's , which can be
installed to a harddisk as os, booted "live" from cd/usb or installed
on a virtual machine.
The virtual machine installation might be an option to use (since the
virtual environment runs "local" and can be used on all platforms).
Perhaps the appliance is not an ideal server (it wont take long to
install...and it's turnkey ready) but a good way to find out if it's
worth to go for a better setup.
(...I have not used this appspot-appliance for giewiki b.t.w. but for
other installations...so it's kind of giewiki untested :)
I also believe Poul has some more information on the giewiki site
about a virtual setup...

Bauwe