> Or was this new feature designed that way for reasons I just
> don't understand?

Don't think this was designed, but is really a nasty bug.

What makes it worse for a non-developer to find its cause is that this
bug seems very inconsistent. Tried to remove one cookie after the
other each time with a saveChanges and reload, only when all cookies
were deleted, SystemSettings empty again and thereby useless - the
autosave stopped. But adding one by one it usually takes as much
saveChanges and as many cookies until this bug starts to persist
again.. :-(

Once I thought I've found the culprit by finding a AutoRefresh
transclussion pointing to the SystemSetting and deleting this made the
autosave immediately stop. But a few saveChanges and reload cycles
it's back again with each cookie change?!?