Hijack does seem to be the right word. The idea with hijacking is

// cache the old value of the function
var _cache = TiddlyWiki.prototype.saveTiddler;
// override the existing value
TiddlyWiki.prototype.saveTiddler =
function(title,newTitle,newBody,modifier,modified,tags,fields,clearChangeCount,created,creator)
{
        // do something new
        alert("!");
        // apply the old value