Hi Jeremy,

Thanks! And...

Jeremy Ruston wrote:
Hi Miles

This is quite a good starting point for finding out more about how
browsers work:

http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/internals/howbrowserswork/
Unfortunately, it doesn't really talk about how JavaScript interacts with things. However.. it contains a list of references that point to:
http://www.vineetgupta.com/2010/11/how-browsers-work-part-1-architecture/
which does, at least a little.

I think though that your specific questions might be answered by the
HTML 5 specs. Basically, all the storage features are exposed as
JavaScript APIs, and things only get stored explicitly. So, if one
edits the contents of an active page then nothing will get stored
unless JS code explicitly does so.

As far as I can tell, the HTML5 spec days very little about HTTP interactions.

In terms of caching, the caching mechanisms in browsers are at the
network level. So they cache the results of particular network
requests, rather than caching the state of the document as it changes.

Right... but think about things like HTTP PUT, POST, DELETE and interactions with AppCache. As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the HTML5 documents, or anywhere else, that talks about this.

And it gets just that much trickier, when talking about executing a page headless, say with node.js.

Sigh...

Miles