Jay Sulzberger wrote:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1947703258/smart-notebooks-keeping-on-the-same-page-across-th

Perhaps just limited encrypted Usenet?

Funny you should mention that. NNTP is, to my mind, the world's greatest messaging protocol. Back in the day, Netscape built a "collaboration server" that added access controls and some management functions to an NNTP server - it was an incredibly powerful tool.

In some sense, the model sitting in the back of my mind, is:
- NNTP (with encryption and crypto-based access controls)
- easier management of (private) group creation
- messages containing HTML & JavaScript that can do some embedded threading (think about sending a Wiki page, the initial page shows up as a news message, edits are automatically applied rather than showing up as separate messages)

Also perhaps:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joeyh/git-annex-assistant-like-dropbox-but-with-your-own
with a daemon that labels files, presents histories, and such like.

Yes... saw that a while back - does look really interesting.

Miles