Hi Simon

Apologies for the late reply, despite that I've been following your
work with great interest.

I hadn't appreciated that appjs enabled JS in the browser to directly
call into node.js scripts, a very useful capability.

The approach of a container application injecting JS code into
TiddlyWiki to enable saving is quite interesting. Elsewhere we've been
discussing the new development that Firefox is disabling access to
it's file saving API from HTML files loaded from a file:// URI. Such
access is still possible from a browser extension, so I've been
mulling over a Firefox extension that injects special load/save
handlers into TiddlyWiki. In this case, the handlers would send
messages to the extension that would save the file on behalf of the
page.

So, it may be worth trying to standardise on the names and signatures
of these JavaScript methods. The simplest thing would be for the TW
core to detect the presence of two global functions:

window.nativeSaveFile(fileUrl,content)
window.nativeLoadFile(fileUrl)

Then, it ought to be possible for both your appjs plumbing and the
putative Firefox extension to both use the unmodified TW core.

Best wishes

Jeremy

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM, sihorton <sihor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to TiddlyWiki development but have created a plugin at
> http://sihorton.tiddlyspace.com/. This plugin extends the standard save
> functionality to detect if the TiddlyWiki is running within AppJS, if it is
> then it calls a nodejs function provided by AppJS to save changes to the
> disk.
>
> I have packaged versions of AppJS + TiddlyWiki + AppJS Plugin available for
> download at:
>
> https://github.com/sihorton/appjs-TiddlyWiki/downloads
>
> If you have an existing TiddlyWiki then you can import the "AppJS Plugin"
> from http://sihorton.tiddlyspace.com/ save the tiddler and then save the
> TiddlyWiki to data/content/index.html. When you then run AppJS you will see
> your TiddlyWiki and it will be able to save.
>
> Advantages of this approach:
>
> bundling TiddlyWiki with AppJS means it won't break when the system browser
> gets auto-updated
> If running from a usb-stick then you don't need to worry what browsers are
> installed on the users system
> Just download and start using TiddlyWiki no need for permission dialogs or
> any complex setup.
> Future proof against new security restrictions or policies
>
> Disadvantages:
>
> AppJS takes up 20+ meg of additional space
> some plugins / functions may not work.
>
> The same effect could be achieved by running firefox portable and tiddlywiki
> together.
>
> Interested to hear what you think of this!
>
> /Simon
>
> --

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy.rus...@gmail.com