Thanks Scott,

I know that doing the display none you suggest won't work because it will
make it invisible whether there are tags or not, and obviously I want it
visible when there are tags.

I tried .tagged .tiddlyLinkNonExisting {display:none;}, but that did not
change anything.

I tried the 100% height idea, which was similar to what I was looking for,
but it didn't do anything. However, margin-bottom 100% got me there. So
thank you for the inspiration! However, there was a problem: bulleted lists
did not move all the way to the right as the rest of the text did.
And...100% means 100% of the screen, apparently, because about a screen
length down, the text wrapped to the left again. I tried increasing the
margin-left for the bulleted lists, but that didn't work right.

So I tried a different tack, also inspired by what you said: since the
tiddlers with the tagged boxes and the tiddlers with content are mutually
exclusive in my case, I decided to do 100% width for the tagged box. So now
the tagged box shows up correctly where there are tags, and is invisible
but pushes the text down ever so slightly when there are no tags. This will
work for me. However, it WOULD be nice to have a working solution similar
to margin-bottom 100% that goes all the way to the bottom of the tiddler. I
have a feeling it involves creating a separate div element for the tagged
box, and placing that element to the left of the element in which the
tiddler text appears. But I am not sure how to do that.