> For 1. I'd love to see localstorage being used, with an option to 'export'
> or 'pack' the file for moving the file around. 'export' would add all the
> tiddlers to the html file and start a download. 'packing' would be
> importing from the file to localstorage and removing from the html file.

Over the years I have had concerns with using LocalStorage for TiddlyWiki
content storage because of the way it locks content up within the browser.
It's hard for an end user to inspect and verify what is stored.
Historically, browsers and developers have tended to treat LocalStorage
like a local cache, and accordingly browsers typically let users clear
localstorage without meaningful warnings. As a storage medium, it's
volatile and fragile.

My philosophy with TW is to strive not to let users lose any data. I
believe that the best way of satisfying that goal is to make it
conceptually and practically simple for an end user to verify that their
data is where they expect it to be.

Having said all of that, I do indeed intend to use LocalStorage in the
manner of a cache, more to guard against browser crashes than anything
else. There are, however, security concerns. On current browsers, all
file:// HTML apps share the same pot of LocalStorage, making it trivial to
retrieve content. Encryption isn't a straightforward solution, as we'd need
a key to encrypt the content, and it would be distracting for a user to
have to think of a password just to allow their content to be cached.

Best wishes

Jeremy

> On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:53:29 AM UTC-7, Marc J. Cawood wrote:
>>
>> Just took another peek at TW5 and several questions emerged:
>>
>> 1. Saving
>> Is TW still (among other things) a single-file wiki which saves to a
>> local file:// system without the need for any other stuff (nodejs,
>> webserver...)?
>> I ask because I was running file:///C:/temp/tw5.html - pressed save and
>> it saved to tiddlywiki.html (basically a save as...) and I know browsers
>> have evolved (some have devolved) from the days when it was relatively easy
>> to properly write to a file system.
>>
>> 2. Could you add placeHolder="Tags" to the tag box <input> element in the
>> Tiddler Edit template. I'm a TW boff and I honestly did not know what the
>> box between title and body was for (my tags are normally below the body).
>>
>> 3. Did you consider using markdown instead of wikitext? I can already see
>> that {{{ seems to be replaced by the hipper markdown-like ```monospaced```
>>
>> 4. Dude, where's my:
>>   double-click to edit <sniff!>
>>   Ctrl+Enter to save <weep!>
>>   Esc to cancel edit? <sniff>
>>
>> 5. Any work been done on supporting the back button (hash history)
>>
>> 6. What's the migration path?
>> How do I convert my trusty .hta files to the new syntax - and should I
>> yet?
>>
>> 7. What's the new plugin repo? Any examples out there yet? API doc?
>>
>> 8. Why are all tiddlers always open in TW5 (at least on the official
>> five.tiddlywiki.com)
>>
>> More importantly - how do I stay up to date on TW5? Not each and every
>> bug but in terms of where it is, what it's for, how it's better,
>> architecture etc? I'm missing a kind of PA - youtube/screencast/slideshare.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Marc
>>
>  --

Jeremy Ruston