> and right about the same time my hosting provider did a server change to
> avoid a failing HDD - and it all went to pot.
>
> Now, even at home the backstage shows, as well as the editing/saving
> functions - but when I hit 'save to web', the only entry I get is this one:
> "About to upload onhttp://...(sitedetails)"
> And there it stays no matter how long I wait.

Perhaps when your hosting provider changed servers, they messed up the
PHP scripting setup?  For example, they might have removed the
executable bit from the script file itself... or forgot to install or
correctly configure "suphp", which allows the script to run with YOU
as the 'owner', so that file I/O permissions will work properly.

I'd check with your provider to see if there are any relevant errors
reported in the server log file.

-e