Hi Tobias

> I take it there are new ways then (aka \rules) to activate/deactivate
> features for/within tiddlers.
>
> How to go about activating/deactivating them globally?

To enable or disable a parser rule globally you'd enable or disable the
module that implements it. There's currently no way to disable a module
from within the core other than overwriting it in your tiddlers with the
same title, but there will be some kind of mechanism to do it. It would be
a bit of a last resort; ideally everyone would be using the same core so as
to maximise compatibility.

Are there still formatters and a wikifier? If not, how is wikification /
> rendering of wiki markup being handled?

There are more moving parts than before, but they are a bit simpler.

There is a wiki text parser that uses individual parser rules to convert
wikitext into a parse tree. A parse tree is a plain javascript structure
representing the logical structure of the wikitext. Rendering constructs a
separate render tree that references the parse tree. The rendering tree can
be rendered directly to the DOM or straight to text. In the former case
there are mechanisms to support dynamic updates of the DOM representation
as the underlying render tree changes.

The two most useful types of plugins involved are parser rules and widgets.

Parser rules can be pretty simple. For example, the pretty link rule:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core/modules/parsers/wikiparser/rules/prettylink.js

Widgets are roughly equivalent to macros in classic TW: blobs of JavaScript
that implement magic, dynamic content like lists and transclusions. The
video embed widget is a simple example:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core/modules/widgets/video.js

Best wishes

Jeremy