to check your tiddlywiki version system use the macro
<<version>>
in any standard tiddler and it will render the current version number, you
can also check the top of the HTML file in a text editor if for some reason
the macro fails or you just don't feel like using it.

I could not find a copy of Tiddlyfox Alpha3 as the github repo only goes
back to Alpha6
However I was still able to gather some interesting info:
Using Firefox Esr 17
+ Tiddlyfox a18
TWc - 2.8.x - Saved
TWc - 2.7.x - Saved
TWc - 2.6.x - Saved
TWc - 2.5.x - Saved
TWc - 2.4.x - Failed
TWc - 2.3.x - Failed
TWc - 2.2.x - Failed
TWc - 2.1.x - Failed

+ Tiddlyfox a6
TWc - 2.4.x - Saved
TWc - 2.3.x - Saved
TWc - 2.2.x - Failed
TWc - 2.1.x - Failed

Reverting to Tiddlyfox a6 did indeed make saving in 2.4 and 2.3 possible.

However worth noting is that my tests were done with 2.6.5 as it's
the latest 2.6.x available in the archive:
http://tiddlywiki.com/archive/

However it's worth keeping in mind that early Tiddlyfox versions may cause
damage to non-standard characters in your TW save files.
(I can't recall off the top of my head which version it was fixed in...)

Thanks for the quick reply Arc Acorn.