On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:09:11 AM UTC-8, skye riquelme wrote:

> Thanks......as I said, the link returns the data....and I can format the
> output into JS code or whatever......but the result of the link is that the
> data is returned to window/tab where the TW is open...  losing the
> TW.....my question is how receive the data from the php link...into a
> tiddler...and not into a new window?

You were correct to direct the PHP output to a target IFRAME.  The trick is
to gain access to the contents of that IFRAME once it is loaded with
results.  One problem is that there's no *automatic* way to know when the
results are ready.  A work-around is to use a link, immediately following
the IFRAME, that can be clicked once the user observes that results are
visible in the IFRAME.  The link then accesses its "previous sibling" (the
IFRAME), and reaches into the "contentDocument.body" to fetch the
"innerHTML" of the results (in your use-case, just plain text).

One other problem: browser restrictions on "same protocol" and/or "same
domain" access to IFRAMES.  Depending upon your particular use case, you
might be able to work around this by putting your TW and the PHP script on
the same server.

Here's some HTML that demonstrates the basic syntax for access the IFRAME's
text content
-----------------------
href="javascript:;" onclick="
var frame=this.previousSibling;
var txt=frame.contentDocument.body.innerHTML;
// now that you have the 'txt' in a variable, you can parse/modify that text
// and then call on store.saveTiddler(...,txt,...) to copy the text to a
tiddler
">save data to tiddler</a></html>

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools / ELS Design Studios

HELP ME TO HELP YOU - MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TO MY "TIP JAR"...
   http://TiddlyTools.github.com/fundraising.html#MakeADonation

Professional TiddlyWiki Consulting Services...
Analysis, Design, and Custom Solutions:
   http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#Contact