This thread is based upon this discussion:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/tiddlywikidev/zNxAhIuMUns/tEfEn5IO67sJ

Am Sonntag, 27. Oktober 2013 18:54:34 UTC+1 schrieb Jeremy Ruston:

> Hi Stephen
>
> I like the double back tick idea.

I implemented it. ` and `` both are now a possible way of quoting code runs.

While I've been on that, I realised that there might be problems when the
last character of such a code run is a backtick. For example, this won't
work:

set a variable like this: ``dir=`ls -al```

The last backtick of the 3-backtick sequence won't be part of the inline
run.

While thinking about that, I also realized that other formatting stuff will
also fail in similar situations like:

//italic/// ''bold'''

So what to do? Maybe, I thought, adding an additional space character would
be sufficient:

set a variable like this: ``dir=`ls -al` ``

//italic/ // ''bold' ''

But then we have a space more than we wanted and in case of code runs it
will be obvious and maybe fatal.

So the next idea was to define that one space in front of the ending
sequence should always be optional and silently be "eaten" by the parser.

So the above code examples would be rendered without the one single
character in front of the ``, // or ''.

The required code change in TW5 is minimal. Usually it's just that " ?" has
to be added to the regular expression for the end sequence.

What do you think about this proposal?