Hi David

That makes sense. There is no user interface support for bulk operations at
the moment. The plan is to be able to see a list of tiddlers for which one
can select different filters. Each tiddler would have a checkbox, and there
would be an action button to apply an action to the selected tiddlers.

It is possible to write JavaScript to do these bulk operations, and then
execute it in your browser developer console. Stephan Hradek has a nice
collection of bookmarklets that show off the technique:

http://tw5magick.tiddlyspot.com

Having said that, you are trying to fit an existing, slightly different
mental programming model onto TiddlyWiki, which may not be the best way to
start. Tags in TiddlyWiki do behave a bit like classes, but they don't have
the same semantics, intentionally. TiddlyWiki could have presented a
conventional SQL-like view of data, but it's designed for writers and
thinkers, and not primarily for programmers - people who want to think like
programmers already have a panoply of tools available to help them realise
their ideas.

So I guess I'm saying that if it's of primary importance to be able to
manipulate your data as though it were a SQL database or strongly typed
object instances in a class hierarchy, then you may be better off looking
at tools that directly support those paradigms. Kludging TiddlyWiki to work
like that is likely to be an uphill struggle.

That all sounds a bit discouraging, I'm really just encouraging you to
explore the way that TiddlyWiki works intrinsically; watch which way the
river flows and try rowing in the same direction.

A classic example of using TiddlyWiki is as a mini-CRM system. One might
have tiddlers that represent people, organisations, meetings, projects and
so on, each class being represented by a tag, as you've surmised. People
would be tagged with the organisation(s) and projects to which they belong.
External companies might be tagged with the name of the internal person
who's responsible for the relationship.

Then, one would want an "address" field, say, on tiddlers that represent
people and organisations. Rather than modifying the tiddlers with that tag,
the trick is to modify the edit template used for tiddlers with that tag to
show the apparatus for editing the address, and modify the view template to
show the address (perhaps with a link to google maps).

Done like that, if you were to decide to introduce a new field to tiddlers
tagged "meeting" you wouldn't go round adding it to each tiddler, instead
you'd just modify the template handling to show the additional field.

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston