Actually it looks like the countdown is already there, found this in
syncer.js:

Syncer.prototype.taskTimerInterval = 1 * 1000; // Interval for sync timer
Syncer.prototype.throttleInterval = 1 * 1000; // Defer saving tiddlers if
they've changed in the last 1s...
Syncer.prototype.fallbackInterval = 10 * 1000; // Unless the task is older
than 10s
Syncer.prototype.pollTimerInterval = 60 * 1000; // Interval for polling for
changes from the adaptor

The lag is more pronounced when I'm editing remotely via ssh tunnel. So
must be network latency? Any tips on how to reduce the effect of that?
Should I use port forwarding instead of tunneling through ssh?

Would it help to move it to the cloud? Anyone got it to work on Openshift
or any other (free) nodejs PaaS provider?