Can anyone summarise the hangout discussion?

The high level goal of footnotes is to make a little bit of additional info
available to the few readers who need it, without interrupting the flow of
other readers.  In a web/computer screen context having notes show up at
the bottom of the "page" doesn't make sense, especially where scrolling
might be required.

Popups are a more familiar solution; I personally don't much like them but
that shouldn't rule them out as the best way to do footnotes in a TW.  If i
were doing it for something other than tiddlywiki I might suggest that
clicking the reference marker could a sort of horizontal page split to show
the footnote content -- like iOS folders used to do (demo in JS here:
http://jsfiddle.net/SDp5y/ ) or like the Brackets editor splits a source
file to edit a colour or something (e.g. the screenshot at
http://brackets.io/ ).

Anyway it's easy to fiddle around with the exact right way to show footnote
content, what's more important is getting the information model and wiki
markup right first.

Cheers
;Daniel

On 12 February 2014 08:59, Julio Peña <jpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was glad this was touched upon in the Google hangout #34 by Jeremy.
> I completely understood where Jeremy was coming from in regards to
> navigation in TW5.
>
> So, to that effect, if this may not be semantically possible and can do
> tool-tip (*like I believe I heard mentioned?*) then I can do that.
> As long as I can have a quick reference to either a link or source I
> wouldn't mind.
>
> Take a look at: http://www.opentip.org/
>
> Maybe something to this effect can be implemented?
>
> Just an idea to throw in the hat per se. What do you think?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Julio
>

> On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:03:03 AM UTC-5, PMario wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:38:19 AM UTC+1, Daniel Baird wrote:
>>>

>>> Naively it seems to me that when editing, the footnote content should be
>>> right there where the reference is.  This means you can easily edit the
>>> note, and avoid hassles like orphaned notes when you copy/paste stuff, etc.
>>> e.g:
>>>
>>> This is my sentence with [[note1::Sentences are usually more well
>>> constructed than this one.]].  Another sentence follows.
>>>
>>> Even other paragraphs.
>>>
>>> _,~'^'~._referenceList^'~._,~'^
>>>

>>> Would give:
>>>
>>> This is my sentence with note1.  Another sentence follows.
>>>
>>> Even other paragraphs.
>>>
>>> note1: Sentences are usually more well constructed than this one.
>>>

>> When I read this suggestion I think about external [ext[]] and image
>> [img[]] links. Thery are missing atm and some discussion is going on. So
>> there is some work to do anyway.
>>
>> eg: [footnote[note1|Sentences are usually more well constructed than this
>> one.]]
>>
>> ... IMO there is a problem with the automatic numbering with this syntax.
>>
>> @jeremy
>> what do you think?
>>
>> -mario
>>
>>  --

Daniel Baird
retro objoke: Chuck Norris had a problem so he decided to use regular
expressions. Now, every problem in the world is solved.