Hi Danielo,

I don't see why this wouldn't work with other svgs or any other image
format for that matter. As a quick related test, I tried with a normal
image instead (a gif) and detected no problems:

*CSS*
span.archive> a
{
    background: url("./images/Icon_Winzip.gif") center left no-repeat;
    padding-left: 18px;
}

would lead, for example, to a link pointing to a tiddler ('Zoology Research
- Mammals (2013)') with the field 'class' set to value 'archive' as such:

{{Zoology research - Mammals (2013)||mylink}}

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ck_XaWuMXGs/U4m9XJav4eI/AAAAAAAAACY/uuDquaXK3ak/s1600/ZoologyResearch.png>

As for the amount of work required, I think it really depends on the number
of individual icons you want for your tiddlers. For me, I only have about 5
or 6 main categories of tiddlers, so I only need 5 or 6 classes in total.
To put it in context, I can have a class called 'note' with about 30
tiddlers and another called 'idea' applied in 40. All the notes have the
same hyperlink icon as well as all the ideas.

Of course, if I wanted individual icons for each and every tiddler, I was
looking at specifying 70 classes in total, which might be quite a bit of
work...

To make this easier to manage, I'm in the process of creating template
tiddlers that will populate the class field automatically (and define the
overall structure of the tiddler) when I generate new ones (e.g. if I want
a note tiddler, the class will be filled with 'note').