On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 11:47:52 AM UTC+1, 9600 wrote:

> I'd like to set up multi-user TiddlyWiki hosting on my own server and
> would appreciate some advice as to which route I should take. This will be
> mainly for organising my own stuff, but I'd also like the ability to create
> additional "secure" wiki instances for customers/projects. I quite fancy
> using TiddlyWiki 5, and beyond straightforward wikis there is the
> possibility that I might want to create simple apps, e.g. for managing
> small scale manufacturing, tracking inventory and tasks etc.

Small scale manufacturing sounds very steampunk to me! ;)

If you want to use TW5 then tiddlywebwiki won't do the trick, it produces
TWC. Not only that, but it is also getting a bit behind the curve on the
best ways to manage content (the new ways are more dynamic with more effort
on the client side) and it no longer has built in support for server-side
rendering (the WikklyText package on which server-side rendering depended
is no longer being maintained) which impacts the quality of Atom feeds and
search results.

With a bit of work it is relatively straightforward to use TW5 with just
TiddlyWeb. You need to create appropriate recipes and use the tank edition
of tw5 (which has the tiddlywebadaptor built in) but otherwise it ought to
"just work". What you would get by using Tank is more effective policy
management, friendlier UI, etc. However that comes at the cost of their
being some currently built in dependencies that you might not want in your
own installation: auth via oath2 to github, facebook or google; storage of
binary tiddlers in S3. Both of these things could be made optional, but are
not currently.

There's a lot of stuff in the way Tank is put together, especially under
the covers, that I guess would be considered state of TiddlyWeb art. On the
surface it looks like a nice little markdown-based wiki but there's a good
deal more going on.

I'm happy to provide help/input in assembling whatever bits and pieces turn
out to be right for you.

Yours in unicorns, rainbows and colo[u]red dreadlocks....