Thank you for your help. Now, it works fine if I transmit plain text. What
if I should handle the text variable dynamically:

\define TableHeaders()
<$list filter="[is[current]split:table-headers[,]]" variable="currentField"
><th><$set name="currentFieldSet" value=<<currentField>> ><$button class=
"tc-btn-invisible" set="!!sort-field" setTo=<<lower $(currentFieldSet)$>> >
<<currentField>> </$button></$set></th></$list>
\end

\define lower(text)
@@text-transform: lowercase;$text$@@
\end

In the end the *sort-field* field of the tiddler should contain the
<<currentField>> in lower case. I have changed a few times the emplacement
of the variable assignement:  I get the definition of the *lower *macro or
*true*.

(I am working on the Inline Editable Table by Danielo.)

jim