I tried to un-edit my PageMacros (as per Jeremy's note below) but that got
real ugly real quick so I copied the below code into a new tiddler with the
tag "$:/tags/Macros".  it stopped being real ugly but it didn't change the
popup.

I copied the code above to the stylesheet tiddler popupStyle you mentioned
as well.

did I do this wrong or is there something else I missed?

thanks.