I am a PhD student in Electrical engineering and I have been using Tiddly
wiki for about 2 years now. Inline are my comments from my experience. I
hope that it helps.

On Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:37:28 PM UTC-7, Tomás Iglesias wrote:

> Hi everyone, just discovered TiddlyWiki a few days ago and I'm already
> trying to use it as my main information center. The problem is that I've
> never had a personal wiki before, so I'm geting used to this new system,
> and I'm not sure of how to use it for my thesis. Should I use it just as a
> notebook for thoughts and ideas? should I write most of the thesis in a TW
> and then generate my latex document? use different TW for both ideas and
> have links between them? or both ideas in one big TW?

It depends on what 'gap' do you want to fill up with TW in your own
workflow. My approach is to use a single TW for note-keeping, brainstorming
etc. I always exclusively use latex for writing the documents. TW is driven
by the idea of several micro-contents and it work really well as non-linear
notebook. This works perfectly for research: you got some idea about a new
experiment or a new section/figure in your thesis - you quickly jot it down
in a new tiddler and add a relevant tag(s). Later, when you are back to
your work you can search TW based on tags or search directly for keywords -
then go through the idea, refine it, do some more research, add more
information to TW (if needed create new tiddlers) etc etc..

> I have seen http://tesis.tiddlyspot.com/ and
> http://tw5.scholars.tiddlyspot.com/ from Alberto Molina, and both are
> awesome, but are too focused in humanities from my point of view and I'm
> not sure that they will do a better job than Zotero and my latex file
> (maybe I'm wrong). If I find the time and knowledge, TW for Scholars would
> be my starting point to mod it a little bit for a more "writing in
> progress" approach.
>

> So, for a newbie, where should I start to understand the way to store
> information in TW for my thesis (or just enter lots of bits of information
> and then figure out how to use it?).

In general, TW is flexible and super searchable. Tags are very helpful. In
my workflow, I have also changed my home to look something like following
images, where I can automatically filter all the tiddler depending on tags.
Each tab in the image is one of my research topic/sub-topic and it shows
all the tiddler based on one tag (or combination of tags). This way I can
very easily keep all the information categorized by basically doing nothing
(well just tagging appropriately).

Home screenshot:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1659299/public_share/tiddler.jpg

My research also involves experimenting with different ideas. For that I
have created my own list based to-do task. It just plain un-ordered list
but uses some CSS to change bullet settings etc. It helps me to keep track
to status of the job. This screenshot may be more clearer to understand:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1659299/public_share/todo-task.jpg

You can also see this, but it did not suite my work flow:
http://tiddlywiki.com/static/TaskManagementExample.html