Hi Ed,

great to see new people enjoying TiddlyWiki. To answer your questions:

1) Yes, "empty" is very literally an empty wiki, containing only the core. So to install the KaTeX plugin, you can grab it from http://tiddlywiki.com/plugins/tiddlywiki/katex/

2) It is true that often times google search result show plugins for TW classic. And it is also true that (in my opinion) there currently is no comprehensive list for plugins (which is also due to the very nature of the TW community). A good start however is the community link list on the official tiddlywiki.com site where there are quite a lot of useful links: http://tiddlywiki.com/#Community

I hope some of that is helpful to you,
/Andreas