Looks like it would just work, the markdown plugin is included in the base
install from npm, i created a new tiddlywiki with

tiddlywiki mynewwiki --init server

The start the tiddlywiki node process with

tiddlywiki mynewwiki --server

This works fine, it comes up in the browser. I can create and edit
tiddlers, but i cant select from the content type drop down markdown. The
markdown shadow plugins are not present in more>shadows

the info file didn't include the markdown plugin so i added it like so

{
    "plugins": [
        "tiddlywiki/tiddlyweb",
        "tiddlywiki/filesystem",
        "tiddlywiki/codemirror",
        "tiddlywiki/highlight",
        "tiddlywiki/markdown"
    ],
    "themes": [
        "tiddlywiki/vanilla",
        "tiddlywiki/snowwhite"
    ]
}

restarted the tiddlywiki service (i tried refresh bhut it didnt bring up
markdown. Now with the new service running, I still don't have markdown.

Amy i doing something wrong here?