Hi Jeremy,

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:40:34 PM UTC+2, Jeremy Ruston wrote:

>> What would be the best place to add documentation? The "WidgetVariables"
>> tiddler for instances is empty.
>>

> Perhaps "Macros in WikiText"?

Hm. Maybe it's just idiosyncratic but as a user who is learning to write
markup based macros (writing the JS code looks straightforward to me) I am
confused because I am missing a summary of the involved concepts and the
syntax to access and use the different entities. Also I don't think it's
easy to grasp that macros, variables and paramters share a common JS
namespace - that is, without looking at the  <<debugvariables>> output -,
but the syntax for accessing all of these entities is different and
depending on the context. For instance, the "official" syntax for passing
variables (or whatever entity) to a widget seems to be "param=<<stuff>>",
which I find odd because it isn't clear to me why the macro call syntax is
used in this manner. Especially that the qoutes are missing around the
macro call and that it does't work if you put them there. Of course I can
make myself familiar with the JS code responsible for these features - but
this is a lot of work since I may know nothing about the internal structure
of the code.

On the other hand I may not have found the bits of documentation where
these things are explained.

Assuming that there is no other feature where this documentation could be
valuable I would put a new section like "Variables, Parameters,
Subsitutions" into "Macros in WikiText".

Best,
Stefan