The iframe trick does the job perfectly, this is what I wanted to achieve
(firing a HTTP request without changing the current page). I had to remove
some security headers from my server that prevented the iframe usage to
make this work properly, that's all.

The "download" suggestion is interesting, but does not apply here : my
webserver fires some application directly (as it run locally, its ok).

Thank you very much for your help !

Best wishes for 2015
--
Jean-Charles