Many of the javascripts that I work with on conventional web-pages use the
general form of an input element of some type, a button to call the
javascript and a separate output element of some type, frequently a
textarea. Generally the javascript pulls in data from the input element and
pushes the results to a different output element. TiddlyWiki’s handling of
javascript seems to be predicated on the idea that the calling element
gathers the input from wherever, passes the parameters to the javascript
which then passes the results back to the calling element.

Those aren’t the same and I’ve reworked a number of scripts to accomplish
the same result. So far most of them have worked if they are a bit clunky.
I did one where, instead of having the script pull the input parameters
once, do the calculation in a loop and have the script push the answer out
140 times, I had 140 separate calls to the script that did the calculation
once. That didn’t seem like the right way to go so I’ve been revisiting
what I know about Javascript.

When I stumbled into the routine that became what is below, I saw several
pieces of what I wanted to do. The script has no parameters as such, pulls
the input from one html element, does something with it, and pushes the
result out to two other html elements. That is ultimately what I want to
accomplish. That is what I haven’t mastered in TiddlyWiki. I don’t
understand why it doesn’t work.

This works in a conventional html web-page but I haven’t been able to make
it work in TiddlyWiki.If you play with this, you'll note that though you
clicked the button, the selected area of the textarea was still active,
even though the textarea did lose the focus.

<!DOCTYPE html>

> <textarea rows="4" cols="50" id="myTextarea">
> 342 Alvin Road
> Houston, Texas
> USA
> Earth
> Solar System</textarea>
>
> <textarea rows="4" cols="50" id="myTextarea2">
> Nothing here</textarea>

> <button type="button" onclick="myFunction()">Copy highlighted</button>

> <script>
> function myFunction() {

    var txt = document.getElementById("myTextarea");