> As the toc is based on tags you might like to use my taglist widget to
> create and control the order of your toc. You can see this in action at
> http://tiddlyclip.tiddlyspot.com/ - there is a 'control toc' tab on the
> right that allows me to use drag and drop with the toc.

Shame on me, it's the first time
I actually see how this works.

With another abstraction layer,
might that be generic list-ordering?!

<$:list sort=drag/>

Another thing would be something like
the add-tag-popup to add a new item to the list.

Would be cool if some on-hover horizontal spacers
indicated a drop-here-location,
e.g. what you see hovering this list...
http://cornell.tiddlyspot.com/#Topic

These are actually intended to
— at some point —
insert a tiddler at that place in the list.

You could very much provide the same
"click here to insert new" functionality,
in addition to these spacers also indicating
"drop to insert here".

Best wishes, Tobias.