This is may be the final version of the icon menus, or something very
similar to that. I think that all of the relevant settings are available
and unless other people make some css classes for the menus for me to add I
am probably finished.

You can have text entries in the menus. If you set the width of the left or
right menus wide enough than you can have text instead of an icon.

Here is the current version:

http://ooktech.com/iconmenus/