Thanks Mario.  the restart thing will work for now, but my problem is I
always forget this sort of thin and get things out of sync.  If I write
something new before the restart and refresh, will it merge everything from
the older changes if I then remember to restart?  It seems like it should
as long as I am not overwriting anything.

I had to do a little poking around to figure out how to restart the node.js
and discovered a couple of things.  First, in this thread
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/TiddlyWiki/restart$20node.js/tiddlywiki/cBgu1KwVdkA/h6Y5DkB0eL0J>

Jeremy responds to a similar query that I missed the firt time through:
"One workaround in the meantime is to use the HTTP API to create tiddlers;
they will appear with immediate effect." but I was unable to find anything
called an http API on the groups or in the TW5 docs or dev docs.  Can
someone walk through how to create tiddlers this way?  Mostly a non coder
here, but able to copy and paste well :)  the second thing is that Jeremy
also says "Changes won't be picked up until the server is restarted. We do
plan to fix this."  +1 for that feature.

to restart a node.js instance in linux, from a terminal do "killall node"
then "tiddlywiki /path/to/your/TiddlyWiki --server" from an alt-F2 prompt
(if you run it in a terminal postfixing "&&" it will die when you close the
terminal.  there is a way to get around this but running in the alt-F2
window if you have it avoids the problem altogether.)