There aren't just fixed menus with icons, the icons can be any tiddler you
wish. I threw together a very crude proof of concept nested menu example
here <http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/Text%20Menus/>. It is still TW5
so it is probably not helpful to you but it will hopefully show some of
what is possible.

To see the example click on the black bar on the left and the menu should
pop out. It has the problem I have run into before where on mobile devices
when you tap on the menu once it is displayed, it will hide itself. I think
it has something to do with the list widget refreshing itself causing the
on hover status to reset. Or something like that.

Like I said, it is very crude, but with some css and other magic you could
make arbitrary nested menus using it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/54b04e92-d466-43f1-a415-34a9680d51e0%40googlegroups.com.