caveat: I am a very basic/beginning user of TWC.
I don't like coming into a conversation in the middle, but.....here goes:

"...can anyone tell me how to invoke an external editor for a tiddler?"

I do all my editing in gvim using FireFox, and I use an Extension called
"It's All Text!".  This enables you to set up an external editor to launch
for ANY text field in a web page.  You point it to your favorite editor,
and in any text field it will put a small button that reads "Edit".  You
click that button to launch your editor.  Sometimes I have to click it
twice.  Also, you can set up a hot key to launch.  It seems to work in both
Linux (my environment), and Windows w/ gvim installed.

I have not yet found an alternative for Chrome which is the only other
browser I use.

--
Dave H

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/96dff7ff-50f5-45f1-a9de-587492c12a08%40googlegroups.com.