I liked it the old way.

For your list, there are several work arounds.

You could put each item in a bullet:

  * a
  * b

You could put each item in a quote

You could switch the entire tiddler to classic format using the drop down
on the lower right of your tiddler.

You could put a break after each entry:

  a<br/>
  b<br/>

Finally, you could put the entire text inside triple quotes:

"""
"""

This last one is the one I use most.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/712a84a6-004f-4428-8bf2-c28f962a313f%40googlegroups.com.