I think, that's the way new functionality should go, from now on. ... TW
core itself imo is pretty stable. We have great "out of the box"
possibilities. .. We will always need to improve the documentation :) But
imo we should try to keep the core as small as possible.

So if new and "great" functionality comes up as plugins first, we (the
community) can use and improve it. If the pros and cons are discussed and
the plugin is battle tested, there is still the possibility to create a
pull request for the core.

just my thoughts.

have fun!
mario