A few notes:

1) Macros always have to be at the top of the file, before any WikiText.

2) The syntax $(variable)$ only applies inside macros.  Outside macros, use
<<variable>>.

3) Your trick isn't working because there's no way to *render* WikiText
into a filter expression.  Basically, the code inside <<myList>> doesn't
get executed if it's passed to an attribute like <$list filter=<<mylist>>
>.  I've just opened a topic suggesting a feature which would make this
possible:  read here
<https://groups.google.com/d/topic/tiddlywiki/E_JbL_5TGyY/discussion>.
 That said, it's likely there are other ways to solve your problem which
don't involve composing an intermediate list.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/3e9b1041-7721-479d-96f3-a7e9eb4c7930%40googlegroups.com.