Is there any macro or other solution to count the number of characters in a
text?

..or, actually, the goal is to set the* height of a a text* *area *editor
to match the content. For instance, in the SideEditor opening the
sideeditor for a tiddler that has not previously been opened by it (and
thus has not saved size values) the editor shows only a few rows,
regardless of actual text length.

It's enough with an approximate height for the frame, perhaps +/-10% for
longer texts, so my idea is to (somehow) get the number of characters,
divide it by a hard coded estimated number of characters in a row (or is
there any chance to count characters until line wrap? I'd be surprised!)
and divide the two to get a rough estimate for how many lines the editor
should show by default.

It seems there are many small javascript solutions
<https://www.google.se/search?q=textarea+auto+height&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=sqmCVpvPCYm4sQHSh6LAAg>

to pick from... but that ain't TW so I don't know how to use it.  I'm
thinking there might already be a solution for "numbers of characters in a
text" in tiddlyverse?

I did find @Skeeves Wordcount macro
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/0iFKXOfEiy4/1TWawriZ6V4J> and
@Jeds Wordcount <http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/WordCount/> - neither
of which I get to work (hm!?) and I'd really prefer number of characters
rather than the number of words, for this. There's also the steamingly
fresh Count <http://tobibeer.github.io/tw5-plugins/#count>filter by @Tobias
which counts number of tiddler titles - again not what I'm hoping for.

Hoping to get pointers or ideas. Thank you!

<:-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/336d448b-7e28-47c2-97f7-3405b83c6a4c%40googlegroups.com.