As for the popup, if you want to stick with TW markup or a 'true' popup I
can't help. But have you considered just using a tooltip or a regular
tiddler with the notes. I've been exploring this and trying to decide which
is best but have some examples, see attached

Greg

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/fd86b843-9f24-4830-b16a-a2479d0ba1de%40googlegroups.com.