Hi Scott,

Didn't you see my proposal, using: ---space which works perfectly fine and
seems to be consistent too.

If I read the dash wikipedia page at: see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash, I have to say: "You are using it
wrong". ... The mdash is not meant to be used as a short <hr>. So why
change the TW syntax to add an edge case, as default behaviour.

If you need a hr, but want it short and consistent you can use a custom
style.
eg:

hr {
    width: 3em;
    margin: 0;
}

In your OP your wrote:

>    1. *Using three hyphens (---) to denote an <HR> means you can't put an
>    m-dash on its own line.*
>    Which may not be a problem for anyone else, but I tend to put an
>    m-dash on its own line a fair bit and find myself resorting to keyboard
>    shortcuts when it seems like wikitext should do.
>    If it took *FOUR* hyphens to indicate an <HR>, three would be reserved
>    for an m-dash, and we wouldn't have this conflict.

As I've shown above, it is possible to exactly do this. You have to use
---space  and everything works out of the box, imo in a consistent way.

have fun!
mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b0bdcff1-e1a4-46fe-ae49-b27f957dc483%40googlegroups.com.