Eric - thank you for a very informative and 'solving' reply! :-)

Note for anyone copying the solution; there is a missing ">" in that last
code, i.e it should be;

<$set name="c" filter="[prefix[New]count[]]">

General thoughts on the matter:

It is depressing to realize that this basic problem is something that
requires special js code and I therefore simply *cannot* solve myself (and
this after hours and hours of trying different circumventions). So - in
spite of Eric explaining that:

As noted above, the "evaluation" of the macro results depends entirely on
> the context into which it is returned: the macro content *might* be
> rendered (and thus, "wikified"), or it might be used as the value of a
> widget parameter, or perhaps saved as-is to a tiddler field, etc.

...AFAICT it would still be very useful with some kind of "assuming"
wikifying implementations for this that evaluates straight off and presents
the same ouput string as would be presented on the screen. For example the
macro in the original question above is un-ambiguous, isn't it? The
evaluation command could perhaps be a "macro wrap" or a maybe a parameter
like;

\define eval foo() ...

or

\define(e) foo() ...

Maybe even alternative parameters to specify what kinds of content should
be evaluated (parameter substitution, internal macro calls, internal
widgets...)

Thoughts?

Again, thank you Eric for your reply above!!!

<:-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/850d4266-4c7d-4594-8675-b1766018107a%40googlegroups.com.