I can't take too much credit here since the big enabling thing for this is
the action-listops widget. If that didn't work as nicely as it does than I
would have had much more trouble.

Mat,

They should have some name to show they are a more general thing but I have
no idea what to call them. JedTags isn't very easy to say...

A search shouldn't be hard to implement but since [list[!!foo]] ignores the
input it may require something less elegant than I would like.

I can hide the fields in view mode, hiding them in edit mode is possible
but will require some more work. At the moment I haven't modified anything
in the core but I don't think I can go much farther without that.

I have been looking at what would be required to make this be how all tails
(*ta*gs-*i*n-*l*imbo) are handled. I think that this is one step toward
making all the fields in a tiddler polymorphic, which I think would be an
important improvement for future versions. So far the biggest thing lacking
for just using this instead of the existing tags field is there I don't
know how to get the equivalent of the tagging operator for non-tag fields.
I think that this was figured out using the action-listops widget so I will
look at that.
Backwards compatibility is the only problem with implementing this in the
core in place of how tags are done now. I am not certain I can change the
tags field portion of the code to be completely consistent with the new
method without breaking some existing projects. It should be minor, but
tags are important so I need to look closely at the code before I can
consider a pull request to the core. Adding this along side the existing
tags field implementation would be possible, but would require some
duplicate code in the core which I would like to avoid.

So, if you want to use this instead of tags for all of your future
projects, there should be no huge problems, it is just not currently
polished. The core will require some more thought though.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/443ad4c9-843b-4c4c-9433-3a893bc31d30%40googlegroups.com.