Answering my own question, here :-P

Thought I'd throw it out there, for any folks who might also be looking for
a solution.

In my use case, I want to distribute an 'update' to my users in the form of
a .json-bundled pack of tiddlers, but would like those new tiddlers to open
in an expanded state immediately upon them reloading their TW.  One way to
do this is to override the Default Tiddlers section of the Control Panel
and insert a list of the updated tiddlers we're adding.

I simply created a tiddler titled *$:/DefaultTiddlers* and listed the
titles of each new tiddler (one per line, and remembering to enclose within
brackets any titles that contained spaces).  This replaces any tiddlers
that might have been there before, and is the same as if you'd gone into
Control Panel and manually added them yourself.

--Zaphod

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/88a81e00-10e1-4a02-ba15-34dc38b9f97c%40googlegroups.com.