Actually it looks like it is an issue with the Highlight.js plugin rather
than Tiddlywiki, removing the plugin the code block renders with hard
linebreaks without having to specify them and the text is inline.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/a5e35b32-9b1f-41f7-b315-29af1f85b5af%40googlegroups.com.