OK, I'll answer my own question:

Firstly, when I loaded a fresh copy of the wiki into node.js, the png
images appeared in the tiddlers directory in their native png format along
with an associated .meta file.  I guess I had loaded the previous copy from
an earlier version of Tiddlywiki that behaved differently.

Then to convert embedded png images to jpg format, I created a bash script
that stepped through all the png files and converted them to jpg files,
edited and renamed the associated .meta files and then ran a search and
replace on all the tiddlers to replace references to the old .png files
with the updated .jpg files.

This reduced my wiki file size from 73MB to 26MB - much more manageable.

I'm sure there are much more elegant ways to do this, but this solved my
immediate problem.

Mal

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/da49ceae-72cd-4c2e-a294-bcc7eec5198a%40googlegroups.com.