In the project I'm working on, I'm using a lot of Latex equations and a lot
of different variables in the equations so I wanted to create a template
that would automatically pull in the tiddlers for the variables (tagged
with "Variable") if they exist in the current tiddler field of "equation".
My problem is that I can't seem to get regular expressions to work that way
(backwards).

For example, I can create a list of equations a variable is in (equation
tiddlers are tagged "Equation").

\define makePattern()
^<.*?(?:=).*?(?:=).*?(?:$(var)$)
\end

</$set>
<$set name="var" value={{!!variable}}>
<$set name="varpattern" value=<<makePattern>>>
<$list filter="[tag[Equation]regexp:equation<varpattern>]">
<$transclude field="title"/>
<$transclude field="equation"/>
</$list>
</$set>
</$set>

However, I can't do the opposite, because what I would need to do is
something like this but the longer string I am wanting to search into is
the input into the regexp, not the object.

\define makePattern()
^<.*?(?:=).*?(?:=).*?(?:$(var)$)
\end

<$set name="eq" value={{!!equation}}>
<$set name="eqpattern" value=<<makePattern>>>
<$list filter="[tag[Variable]regexp:variable<eqpattern>]">
<$transclude field="title"/>
<$transclude field="variable"/>
</$list>
</$set>
</$set>

Any ideas? Can regexp be used that way? I was thinking some combination of
nested lists might help, and I tried my hand at creating a custom macro,
but I haven't been able to figure this out.

Thanks,

Sara

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/ad4d314c-6bd0-4c86-9a72-93dd58abd336%40googlegroups.com.