Just a few suggestions as I don't have the time right now to do a deeper
look at the problem:

Node.JS can serve up images, video, or anything else you might want.
 Whether TiddlyWiki itself though is coded for that, I'm not sure. Normally
one simply assigns a route using Express.JS middleware to serve up static
files. So there is a way to do this, I have done so on many websites, I
just don't have the time at the moment to dig deeper into how/if TiddlyWiki
itself is coded for this, but it is possible with Node.JS.

Regarding your links to your PDF files, I used to make this same mistake
too.  You need to use relative external links instead.  It saves you a lot
on typing too.

I used to load PDFs into a browser tab and copy the URL into TiddlyWike
before I realized *relative external links* were available.

So if you have a subdirectory below where your TiddlyWikis are like:
./TWDataFiles/PDFs

And you have a book located in there like so:
./TWDataFiles/PDFs/Instant TiddlyWiki Development.pdf

Then you can link to it like so:
[ext[Instant TiddlyWiki Development|TWDataFiles/PDFs/Instant TiddlyWiki
Development.pdf]]

Notice that you need to not use the conventional  [[title|link]]  but
instead use  [ext[title|link]]  instead.

There is actually some good documentation on external links here [Linking
in WikiText] <http://tiddlywiki.com/static/Linking%2520in%2520WikiText.html>
.

Good luck,

-Doug