Over on github a fellow member asked if there are any guidelines for what
is suitable in core/standard distro VS better as a plugin.

I felt a reply is better posted here so wrote this but was interrupted
before posting. Meanwhile I now see fellom PMario has posted a read-worthy
answer
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/2831#issuecomment-295287878>
too (see end of thread there).:

I'm not sure there are any official guidelines but I'd say the reasoning is
along these lines;

The standard distro ( =the basic TW distribution), and especially the core
plugin, should generally be kept minimal... or rather, it should not be *too
slow to load/render.*.. which is the typical cost when adding stuff.
Another cost is administration/maintenance... which means Jeremy because of
the TW projects organizational structure.

On the flip side, there is need for key-turn functionality to attract
users. So standard distro functionality should meet *most users basic needs*
.

The opinion that some suggestion is better as a plugin than in core does
not mean it is a bad idea (at least I don't think anyone would mean that).
Rather, the suggestion is probably *too special* to be of general interest,
at least given the costs it would bring. But then, in then end it's up to
Jeremy if something is appropriate for core or not.

That said, we still don't have a good solution to access the existing
community made plugins (imagine an "app store"!) so even if it is justified
to 'triage' a feature as a plugin there are problematic consequences.
TWederation will hopefully one day solve this...

<:-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/039e6e97-79dc-41b7-8548-43031a7342fc%40googlegroups.com.