Tobias <$setvar> and TW5 <$set> interpret filters differently, returning
list items that internally have square brackets. My work-around was to
strip them off with the removeprefix and removesuffix filter operators
before looking for tags. Please excuse that I've changed the criteria to
meet my available test data:

\define predb() [[
\define postdb() ]]
<$setvars _r="[tag[ToDo]!tag[Template]random[1]]" random="[r]">
<<random>> has tags --
<$list filter="[title<random>]
<$view field="title"/>
</$list>
</$setvars>

This seems to work and take into account titles with spaces and titles
without. Hopefully.

Good luck,
Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/6977528f-1395-479d-9980-57dfb9aa75f7%40googlegroups.com.