Perfect.  That got it.

In order for me to move from TWC to TW5 with a non-trivial knowledge base,
I need to have a gradual migration path.   I appreciate the helpful intent
of the 'just migrate all your content to TW5 format', but I really need to
avoid breaking current content, and I just can't make the time right now to
review hundreds of updated tiddlers.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/47f39577-72ce-4417-85c2-02e8e7411642%40googlegroups.com.