Neither will Chrome. Neither will any other browser existing or not
existing or changing. I know a lot of discussion has happened in relation
to that, but I just want to let you all know how it looks from my
perspective.

TiddlyWiki gives me the peace of mind that I'm not tied to any one browser
or software company. I use data folders, which stores the tiddlers as raw
wikitext in the file system. If I ever need to read them as a text file, I
can easily do that. Single file wikis would be the same, although you have
to look through 1.5+ MB of code to find the wiki store, but definitely
doable and a necessary inconvenience. Of course, I can also load it in any
modern browser and expect it to work exactly as it always did as far as
rendering and reading is concerned.

First of all, there is TiddlyServer. I have loaded data folders for a long
time, but this was the first time I made something this dynamic. At the
same time, I made it to fit my use case, which is something of a data
power-user. I accumulate loads of notes and need someway to store and
categorize them. I like data folders, and needed something like the Node
server command, but which allowed static files to be served as well.

Before TiddlyServer, I used Electron and a simple saver script that I wrote
very similar to TiddlyChrome or TiddlyFox. That worked very well and I
stored everything on Dropbox in single file wikis. I still use Dropbox, but
found myself quickly switching to data folders once I discovered how easy
TiddlyServer actually made things.

There is also TiddlyDesktop. It is built on NodeWebkit, but as far as the
end user is concerned, it could also be build on Electron. Even if
NodeWebkit goes away, Electron is a very active project used by several
very popular source code editors and maintained by Github. I don't think it
is going to disappear any time soon.

It would not be hard for me to port Tiddlyserver to Electron to turn it
into another TiddlyDesktop. I could still allow access over the network.
That, I'm guessing, is on the roadmap, but it's still a little ways away.

*We still have TiddlyChrome until next spring. *

Every browser that supports extensions would have some way of saving
directly in the browser if you install a native application on your
computer that would communicate with the extension. This seems feasible to
me because installing an extension is also computer specific.

There are creative ways of using the download saver along with shell
scripts to do various things.

Several users are working on various ways to use WebDAV to save TiddlyWiki
on Apache and IIS. We have store.php which does basically the same thing if
you have PHP enabled on the web server.

Saving used to be a lot more browser-specific. Each browser had its own
method of doing things. Five has made things a lot more equal and taken out
a lot of the guess work and hassle of hacking the core code. If there is a
different way of saving, you just write a new saver and drop it into your
wiki.

It is a hassle to work through all the different options available to us
and figure out which ones are user-friendly and simple. I think that is
what is creating all the discussion about Firefox. We have a plethora of
options available, it's just that the one some of us like best is going
away. I barely ever use Firefox, and therefore hardly ever use TiddlyFox.
So I am not affected by it as a user, and I'm sure there are others.

It has come to my attention very strongly, however, as the developer of
TiddlyServer, because suddenly there is a lot of interest in it. It was
primarily built to allow someone to load multiple data folders (which have
nothing to do with TiddlyFox and are always browser agnostic) instead of
having to load each folder on a different port. We also wanted to be able
to serve files (like PDFs and images) along-side the TiddlyWikis. The
single-file saving was an obvious addition, but I almost needed a new saver
to go with it.

I'm sure I missed some things, but that is all I can think of right now.

Arlen

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CAJ1vdSQo785BF7Xy_SuXR9XskL%2BFSSKNWWNib%3D7HtosTTLtSmA%40mail.gmail.com.