AndrewMC,

Just using the backticks can be a quick poor mans tool for this
See this Quick Tip I wrote
http://tiddlywiki.psat.com.au/#Quick%20Tip%20-%20A%20Surprise%20use%20of%20backticks

```
A Heading box
```

@@display:block;width:50%;border:1px solid black;padding:5px;The text you
want to emphasise. Chance the style as you want, and perhaps use the button
in the editor toolbar to create a snippet to use over and over again.@@

Or generalise Birthe's solution like this in a tiddler  tagged
$:/tags/Stylesheet

```
.textboarder {block;width:50%;border:1px solid black;padding:5px;}

```

Then Tridder the CSS in the Tiddler with most first character markdow, in
the below cases Semi-colon and Colon followed by ".textboarder" note
leading period.

See Image

;Then Tridder the CSS in the Tiddler with most first character markdow, in
the below cases Semi-colon and Colon followed by ".textboarder" note
leading period.

;.textboarder The text you want to emphasise. Chance the style as you want,

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/353c8a4c-260e-470a-8537-94d6169a78e4%40googlegroups.com.