On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 8:37:44 PM UTC-5, Arlen Beiler wrote:

> The time window would work something like this.
>
> Let's say you have the wiki open in one tab and you do some editing and
> the changes get saved. Can you open it in another tab or window or on
> another computer, and make some changes there. Then you come back to the
> first computer or tab and without thinking you make some changes and they
> automatically get saved. If neither the backup feature nor Etag is enabled,
> your changes are irretrievable lost, unless your backup system already
> grabbed them as soon as they were written.

That's identical behavior to current single-file TWs. Anyone using
single-file TWs knows (or should know) how that works.  Arlen, seriously, I
admire you trying to solve it, but the etag system is, at times, failing
you. Because the etag system is failing you, *your* system, TS, is
suffering as a result.

> The backup feature of TiddlyServer lets you retrieve that old version, and
> the e-tag prevents it from being overwritten in the first place.
>
> Now if I would put a time window in place of, say, 10 seconds, it would be
> able to save only if the file on disk is nor more than 10 seconds newer
> than the version loaded in the browser. If it was modified more than 10
> seconds later than the version in the browser it would not be able to save.
> This would be a setting in settings.json so the user could adjust it
> according to the need.

Nifty idea.  But again, it's not needed, IMO.  You're trying to fix an etag
issue, not a TS issue, per se.

> Interesting thought, I will consider it.

Are you referring to my *bloody-minded* "A PUT request is an undeniable
request..." statement?  Having thought about it more, I'd go even further
-- refusing to let me save, implies the server knows better than I do what
needs to be (and should be allowed to be) saved.  That's a showstopper, for
me. :/

Anyway, I admire your diligence on this but hope you give me switch like...

{
  "ts-options" : {
    "enable-etag": false // default true
  }